Thursday, March 7, 2013

Vitameatavegamin- Do You Pop Out at Parties?

I sent my poor husband on a wild goose chase at the grocery store today.  I put a bunch of healthy stuff on the grocery list, plus a few items we've never tried before, like quinoa and cellophane noodles.  He made the most delicious dinner tonight-- sliced zucchini and yellow squash in a spicy sauce made with pureed brussel sprouts, bell peppers, and olive oil, with sauteed scallops on top.  It was amazing!  I normally am either bored with vegetables or hate them.  There are very few that I like, but we're trying to find different (healthy) ways to prepare them that will make them taste good.  Well his sauce was a winner!



I was inspired after that, and cooked up a bunch of broccoli and cauliflower and mixed it with the rest of the sauce, then I added crushed peanuts.  I put it in a few containers and can heat it up later this week.  It'll be yummy!

After that I pureed some of the cooked cauliflower and mixed it with some lean ground beef and ground turkey my husband bought today.  I mashed them all together with some garlic herb Mrs. Dash and a little beef boullion, getting my hands all messy as if I was making meatloaf.  I shaped it into patties and will use it to make ground "hamburger" for the kids and add to recipes later.  Shhh don't tell the kids it has cauliflower in it!  Missy Chase Lapine's Sneaky Chef books have been an inspiration to me.  I haven't actually used any of her recipes, but have used some of her techniques for hiding fruits and veggies in foods-- not just for the kids, but for my hubby and me too.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment